Monday 17 September 2012

Jennifer Hillier @ MIBF2012


This was my second visit (and last day) to the book fair just to catch up with one of the featured writers by National Bookstore's book signing event. Jennifer Hillier is a Filipino-Canadian novelist who released two books, Creep and Freak. Prior to the book fair, there were already press releases regarding Jennifer's visit in Manila. It was also revealed that she plans to visit her father living in one of the islands in the Visayas and not seeing him for almost 16 years.

Without a second thought, I decided to buy the first book (Php315 less 20% discount) during my first visit to the fair. As soon as grabbed the pocket book, I started reading it... until now while writing this journal, I am on the middle part of the book - enjoying Ethan's revenge against Dr. Sheila Tao.

While Jennifer was writing her dedication in my book, I quickly asked her motivation to build-up the personality of Ethan, considering that she is a female writer. Jennifer responded quickly to my query and without hesitation, she says: "Ethan is my favorite character...I have to read and read to get additional information in developing Ethan's character."

As parting kind words, I told her that I compared her writing style with Mary Higgins Clark. Clark is my first female writer who really inspired me to read more suspense-thriller stories. She smiled while thanking me of my remarks!

No comments: