Thursday 26 July 2012

Featured Author: Vanessa Morgan – the female version of Stephen King


THIS IS A LONG OVERDUE post featuring another author. Personally she contacted me if I could introduce her latest novel thru my blogsite. Unfortunately, due to my illness (I am getting better now), I did not able to write something about the launching of her latest e-book. Well, it is not too late to grab any of her books: A Good Man, The Strangers Outside (story story), and Drowned Story. A Good Man was released on 15 April 2012 and currently in pre-production with Radowski Films. 

Vanessa Morgan is a screenwriter and novelist. She is known as the 'female version of Stephen King'. You can find out more about Vanessa Morgan and her work by going to her personal blog Vanessa Morgan. If you like cats, you might also like the web comic about her cat Avalon at Avalon-Lion. Vanessa is happy to answer some of my questions which may reveal her passion in writing.

1. How long does it take you to write a book? About a year. I can write a first draft in two or three months, but it's the rewriting process that takes a long time.

2. What is your work schedule like when you're writing? Writing is my day job, so I get up around 8a.m. and after having fed my cat I start to write, usually until about 6 p.m. or later depending on my evening activities. I mainly write from home, but I also like to work in coffee shops, airports and hotels.

3. What do you like to do when you're not writing? Eating out, cooking, going to film festivals, watching movies, drinking tea, cuddling my cat.

4. What does your family think of your writing? Most of them don't speak or understand English (I'm originally from Belgium and my native language is Dutch), so they can't read my books. But I get weird questions such as: "Why does a sweet girl like you write horror books? Why don't you write a romantic comedy?"

5. How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?I have written a novel, a short story and a  screenplay. I think that my first novel, Drowned Sorrow, is still my favorite. I wanted to write a story that was so eerie that my readers wouldn't be able to sleep for nights to come. One of the reviewers said about the book: "Drowned Sorrow is definitely creepy. Possibly even crawly. I wouldn't sleep in the same room with it." That's exactly what I wanted it to be and that's probably also why I like it the most.

6. Do you hear from your readers much? What kinds of things do they say? Believe it or not, but most letters I get from my readers are from men telling me that I'm beautiful and hot.

7. What do you think makes a good story? It depends from person to person, but good characters and a exciting beginning and ending are a good starting point, because people will always remember the beginning and the ending.

8. As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up? Happy.

9. Who is your favourite author (s)? Daph Nobody, Michel Houellebecq, Carol Drinkwater, John Saul, and Jack Ketchum.

10. If you are recommending one of your latest books to a friend - how would you describe it? A Good Man is a dark comedy with a few horror elements. I could best describe it as American Psycho with a vampire. Some people have also compared it to the TV-series Dexter. It's a fun and moving story and it turns the vampire myth completely on its head. It's not the kind of vampire story you've seen before and if you think you know how things will turn out, then think again.

THANK YOU very much for sharing your passion in story-telling. I am sure this post will give you more men fans out there! Indeed, I am looking forward to get a free copy of your latest e-book and have it reviewed here in my blogsite. What do you think Vanessa? By the way, I love Belgian chocolates!

No comments: