Friday 18 February 2011

Page to Screen: when texts become moving images

NOVEL ADAPTATIONS ARE POPULAR NOWADAYS. Im sure that the medium transition is not easy as transforming these book pages into a wide screen film, trying to cover hundreds of pages into 1-2 hours (sometimes it reach 3 hours) viewing. But there are quite a number of successful stories that also become blockbusters and entertained us as much as we read these stories on paper.

Sometimes we are disappointed when the adaptation is not perfectly done especially when the plot or the ending are drastically changed! I love watching films and personally it is quite interesting and convincing to read first the original stories before they hit the screen. Ironically, I have not read some of the adapted films that I loved most such like the Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter adventures series.




Last year, I watched two of the adapted films: My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult and My Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. Unfortunately, I was bit disappointed with My Sister's Keeper considering that the ending of story was totally changed! Overall, watching these films also enhanced our understanding about the books and get a clearer picture of the stories as a whole.

No comments: