Friday 21 January 2011

Growing up...i grew perfectly normal!

I thought this is a simple teenage story, unfortunately, I'm surprised of the emotional and psychological effects on me while reading it. The author tackled very sensitive issues on parenting, family relationship, growing up and sexuality.

These issues were presented in a lighter mood which is more easier to comprehend from a viewpoint of a teenager. With a sense of humor, the entertainment part brought the reading of this book enjoyable as well.

"So, I guess we are who are for a lot of reasons. And maybe we'll never know most of them. But even if we don't have the power to choose where we come from, we can still choose where we go from there. We can still do things. And we can try to feel okay about them." - Charlie

Having relatives while growing up was beneficial to my parents and of course to myself. My uncles and aunties lived in our house which helped me to learn alot of things like preparing my assignments/homework on time, taking responsibilities of house chores like cooking, washing of our own underwears, etc. This is the reason why until now I'm still very close to my parents' brothers and sisters and once in a while I do ask favors from them!

FINALLY, the author mentioned alot of excellent books that I want to read in the future. You might be interested to find out as well. Here they are: On the Road, Naked Lunch, The Stranger, This Side of Paradise, Peter Pan, A Separate Peace, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Catcher in the Rye, The Great Gatsby, Hamlet, Walden, and The Fountainhead.

Note: This 232-page book was a pre Xmas presence from a friend working in the Philippine Embassy (London) who has the passion for books. She is one of the bosses in the Embassy at the moment. Indeed, one of her favourite books and I enjoyed it very much!

No comments: